[Zope3-dev] Calling persistent function

Jeffrey P Shell jeff at bottlerocket.net
Tue Feb 3 16:46:13 EST 2004

On Jan 24, 2004, at 7:30 AM, Steve Alexander wrote:

>> One problem I have with that is that
>> modules['time'].asctime() is forbidden in zpt.  How do
>> I put the time and date in a zpt template?
>
> Make it not forbidden in zpt?
>
> I'd also like to see a <script> tag work for this, so that python code
> can be embedded in ZPTs in a natural kind of way.
>
> You shouldn't need to play with utilities to get this simple task done.

You shouldn't need a script tag to get this done either with ZPT::

     <h1 tal:content="modules/time/asctime">[current time]</h1>

versus::

     <h1>
       <script type="text/server-python">
         import time
         print time.asctime()
       </script>
     </h1>

Again - if this is the norm, then we are regressing.  JSP and ASP have
moved beyond this style, and by the time Zope 3 actually does something
useful, even PHP will have finally separated itself from between its
core programming language features and use as a templating system.

I know, I know, I know, we've been through this fight before and I'm
not going to fight it again.  My fears over Zope 3 at the moment are
sadly greater than my intrigue, because I feel either insanely neutered
('content-space', where I haven't gotten anything besides a folder to
do its job), or insanely overwhelmed.  It's taken me until yesterday to
finally figure out the service registration/activation thing.

:\