[Zope3-dev] Re: Moving more stuff to zope.products

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Feb 6 03:20:32 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Granted the contract
>> of ObjectManager does too. Anyhow, I feel relatively assured we won't
>> wind up with that sort of thing in Zope3 since they are a direct result
>> of the mixin class model and lack in separation of concerns that pervade
>> Zope2.
>

> I don't understand what that has to do with it.  Most people aren't
> going to totally refedine Zope at every level. They will want some standard
> batteries to be included.

I don't think we're talking about redefining Zope at every level.
Content objects are just the most common 'redefinition', meaning
customization that people will make. Therefore I think it is justified
to ban example implementation out of the core. IIRC, the CMF has CMFCore
and CMFDefault, too ;).
I think Casey was referring to SimpleItem, ObjectManager,
PropertyManager and all those other mixins.

>>> Btw, I also feel kind of strongly about making Templated Page and
>>> Python Page (and possibly Catalog!) separate from the other 'sane'
>>> content objects, such as File, Image, etc. *and* disable them by
>>> default. If people do not want to disable them by default, it should
>>> at least be a matter of one line in products.zcml to disable them.
>>

>> I don't really see why any specific content objects need to come with
>> the core.
>
> To make it usable.

I respectfully disagree. Stuff needn't be in the core to make Zope3
usable. It just needs to be in products.zcml.in.

Philipp