[Zope3-dev] Re: Moving more stuff to zope.products

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Fri Feb 6 05:36:38 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
> >It seems a bit silly to ship products with Zope3 that are disabled by
> >default. Things that are disabled probably should be separate from the
> >main distro.
>
> What ships with Zope 3 is an open issue that we aren't really thinking
> about yet.  Some of the things in zope.products will be shipped in
> common distributions, and some won't be.

Um, in practice you realize that 'common distributions' *will* be shipping
zope.products, *unless we do something about it*, right? It's not like I or
anyone else is going to sit there, take Zope.org's distribution of Zope 3
and redistribute it without some products to the rest of the world. This is
because zope.org's distribution will be the most common distribution by
far.

Even when I distribute to my own clients I'd prefer to point them to the
standard zope.org distribution.

I'd rather have zope.products contain stuff that's enabled by default, except
when the following occurs:

There are two or more different packages that fulfill the same task, and
they're both useful and maintained. I could imagine two security policies,
for instance.

zope.examples can contain code that isn't enabled by default as it's obviously
example code.

Anything else doesn't belong in the zope core distribution at all and should go
live in some extension.

It should of course be possible to disable products and either replace them
with something that fullfills the same task or just leave them out altogether.
Though I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of Zope 3 extension code that
depends on things in zope.products. This is not a bad thing; it shows that
the zope.products code is actually useful.

In my mind, "zope.products", part of the Zope 3 CVS repository, which you'll
get when you do a checkout, certainly affects the most common distribution of
Zope 3 that we'll see, i.e. zope.org's one. In fact this is now the *only*
distribution of Zope 3 in existence.. :)

Regards,

Martijn