[Zope3-dev] Need help planning Zope X3 1.0

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Feb 7 19:46:04 EST 2004

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Saturday 07 February 2004 18:23, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>Stephan Richter wrote:
>

>>I don't agree.  I don't think this has been well thought out
>>and what has been done is controversial.
>

> I think it has been controversial because everyone on the mailing list is not
> in the audience. Both, the SQLExpr and inline Python support came from
> feedback from people that deal with scripters all the time. For the purists
> any scripting support will look like a hack.

Granted, but even so, I think that this is a big important thing that
I want to give more focus before we commit to how it's gonna be.

I think it's too important to rush at before the first release.

>>>But the point is that we do not want just plain scripter support and
>>>that's it. We need a migration path for them and I believe I worked on
>>>this as well.
>>
>>A migration path?  What sort of migration path? From Z2->Z3? From scripter
>>to developer? From other systems to this one?
>

> Oh, I talk about the migration from the Scripter --> TTW developer --> Python
> product developer. I realize that not all people will make the second
> transition, which is fine. But I think that everyone should make the first
> transition at some point.

ok

>>This looks interesting. I don't understand how the adapter is connected to
>>the sql. You define an rdb variable, but don't use it. Is the rdb variable
>>magically used by the expr?
>

> Yes, it is magically used; something that really bugs me about this product.
> But I could just not think of something better. BTW, optionally you can also
> just specify a DA name, but the example was meant to work without any
> additional setup.

I'm sure we can figure this out, but we may not have bandwidth for it right now.

>>If we were going to do something like this, I'd much rather
>>pick something from another successful Python project. Perhaps
>>PTL.
>

> Yes, I think that would be better. I do not know PTL, but I know something
> like Python Page is needed! I just looked quickly at PTL and it looks pretty
> interesting. In fact, it has the same ideas I had with Python Page but is
> much more developed.
>

>>>This is pretty much everything the scripter needs.
>>
>>I don't agree. But I also don't know.
>

> What else do you think is needed?

I dunno and I don't want to figure out right now. :)

OK, I can't resist.

I think that an important step would be to work out a training
course and use it to work out what makes sense to people.  That is,
work out some ideas and try them on people.

>>>- Local Adapter Service: It is already part of the To-Do list.
>>
>>Yeah, but maybe it shouldn't be.
>

> Based on your other comments, it should not.
>

>>>- Schema-based Content Type: This used to work very well and reliably
>>>until the changes in the CA arrived. Jim, you punted on TTW content
>>>types, in your outline, but *please* let's not punt on the schema-based
>>>version. It is a very important part! Once you get the persistence issue
>>>fixed with TTW Schemas, I will make sure this works for the release.
>>
>>I will fix what broke it, but I'm still not comfortable with including it
>>in Z3.  Your idea of working well and mine are different.  I found it
>>rather rough.
>

> The base code was actually not that rought at all. What was a bit rough was
> the integration into menus. I had not worked on this, since you said you
> would redo the local menu service. We have similar code that is used
> successfully in the workflow package as well.

When I say "rough" I was refering toi the few times I tried to use them,
not to the implementation, :)

>>>Issues punted on for 1.0:
>>
>>  - Testing for TTW
>

> Good point.
>

>>But there's much more we'll punt on.
>

> We should maybe start listing it at this point.

eh