[Zope3-dev] Need help planning Zope X3 1.0

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sun Feb 8 15:36:43 EST 2004

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 07:46:04PM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
> Stephan Richter wrote:
> >>I don't agree.  I don't think this has been well thought out
> >>and what has been done is controversial.
> >

> >I think it has been controversial because everyone on the mailing list is
> >not in the audience. Both, the SQLExpr and inline Python support came from
> >feedback from people that deal with scripters all the time. For the
> >purists any scripting support will look like a hack.
>
> Granted, but even so, I think that this is a big important thing that
> I want to give more focus before we commit to how it's gonna be.
>
> I think it's too important to rush at before the first release.

I agree.
FWIW, I like the idea of SQL expressions very much, though I haven't
thought much about the details.

I think the controversy over embedding python in ZPT and
embedding HTML in python should not be taken lightly, and
if we are not ready to focus on it, we should stop arguing about
it for now. I have plenty to say on the subject but I think
this is not the time.

> I think that an important step would be to work out a training
> course and use it to work out what makes sense to people.  That is,
> work out some ideas and try them on people.

yes!

But, I think I see an emerging consensus that we are not
ready to fully tackle the scripting support and that it might
be OK to defer this until after Zope X3 1.0 or whatever the
heck it's called.

As someone who cares about scripter support - both because
I've done a fair bit of it in zope 2, and because I often
wear the "SiteDeveloper" hat and have to maintain and/or
rewrite other peoples' scripting efforts -
I am perfectly happy with the prospect of having
zope X3 really solid for filesystem developers first,
then TTW development second, then TTW scripters last of all.
Even if it means scripter support is not solid until 2005 or so.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com