[Zope3-dev] Re: Moving more stuff to zope.products

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Feb 8 15:29:30 EST 2004

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

>> Hi there,
>>
>> in the currently ongoing process of reorganizing Zope3's package
>> structure and gutting out zope.app, I think the main packages that
>> have yet to be moved are:
>>
>> - zope.app.workflow
>> - zope.app.content
>

> I have started moving zope.app.content to zope.products.content and
> zope.products.codecontent, respectively in a branch,
> 'philikon-movecontent-branch'. Here's a small status report:
>
>   - zope.app.content is a simple module now containg the ContentType
>     machinery
>
>   - Folder could not be moved out of zope.app, mainly because it is
>     needed widely by the Zope core for its root folder functionality,
>     e.g. in the bootstrap process. It it is now in zope.app.folder,
>     since zope.app.content is a simple module now.
>
>   - You currently have to toss your Data.fs, which is bad. I tried
>     setting up a modulealias at least for folders (in
>     zope.products.content/configure.zcml), but it doesn't seem to work.

Yes, this is bad. We really should write a conversion script.
This might be very hard.

Perhaps we should combine this with the ZODB4->ZODB3 conversion script.

>   - Packages in zope.products have been fixed up. All unit tests pass.
>
>   - 6 functional/integration tests still fail, mainly because they
>     depended on either the File or the Templated Page content types.
>     While the first is easy to fix, the latter is a bit more
>     complicated.
>
> Comments are appreciated, as well as help chasing down the last test
> failures and fixing the modulealias.

At a high level, this sounds good.  I'll try to find some time to
look at the branch.

In any case, we should not plan to merge this until I get back
to the States.

Thanks for the great work!