[Zope3-dev] Re: Inline code

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Tue Feb 10 11:55:45 EST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Paul Winkler wrote:

> OK fine, I can't resist ... debate ensues :-)

I think it's a good thing to think about, and maybe we can even come to a
consensus. ;-)

> > Pros:
> >
> > - You can write code inline.  It would replace the need for complex
> > expressions.
>
> *shrug*  give me TTW libraries and I'd never need this.
> i guess some people would like it.

This idea is designed to work seamlessly with libraries.  In theory, code
written in a template could be cut and pasted verbatim into a library.

> > - Unlike the current script tag, moving the inline code to a separate
> > module is always straightforward.
>
> Ah, my favorite horse to flog. This is *really* important.
> If we're determined to give people mess-enabling tools,
> we must take steps to ease the burden on the guy who gets
> to clean it up later!

+1

> > Cons:
> >
> > - It's not like Javascript; there is no "document.write()" equivalent.
>
> What does document.write() allow that tal/content and tal/replace does
> not? I have done very little javascript.

Nothing at all, really.  The only difference is that scripters will be
required to write a function and call the function, which is better style
anyway.

Shane