[Zope3-dev] Need help planning Zope X3 1.0

Bjorn Stabell bjorn at exoweb.net
Wed Feb 11 03:56:48 EST 2004

Jeffrey:
> I love ZPT.

Okay, I can see ZPT has real benefits in your situation.

In our situation it isn't as clear, and although I've been using ZPT for
a long time, I am still not very proficient with it.  DTML didn't take
long to learn... for me.  It didn't try to reinvent the world of
programming (except for acquistion, that is).  I also really hate ZPT
being more verbose, and so I don't find it cleaner. :-/  But I see that
ZPT does make it easier to make templates that are valid HTML since
you're enforced to work with valid markup all the time.

You can say PHP and ASP don't encourage presentation/code separation,
but at least you can't say PHP and ASP aren't popular, and that's an
important success criteria for technology in my mind (it's not the most
important, however).  And them being easy to learn and easy to use is
probably a big reason for their popularity.  To gain marketshare, Zope
should be easy to learn, especially for the "casual website hacker" who
is probably going to be the one who drives Zope popularity, the same way
he did for PHP.  PHP is now mainstream, has a plethora of hosting
options etc, and so it's easy to convince businesses to use it as well.

Hm, I never thought I'd see the day that I would be advocating a more
conservative technology option :)  Maybe I'm getting old.

All in all, I think ZPT isn't bad--it is innovative and useful--it's
just not the best solution in all cases.

Bye,
--
Bjorn