[Zope3-dev] Re: Moving more stuff to zope.products

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Feb 11 16:30:40 EST 2004

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> See http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/PackageGeddon

I'm thinking of something much bigger. This hardly qualifies as a geddon. :)

The main problem I see is that that the existing structure is too deep.
I want a drastic flattening of the structure.  I'll work up a cut at this
on the way home.  This will leave zope.app and zope.products very broad
and shallow.

Further, given a flat structure, I'm not sure that the distinction
between zope.app and zope.products will be that useful any more.
I need to think more about this, but I suspect we may want a more fluid
organization that isn't chisseled into the directory structure. This relates
to Jeffrey's (and, in the past, Kapil's and more recently Tres') remarks
about packaging.  Perhaps the dependencies and individual configurations
should be dealt with at a higher level.  As I said, I need to think about this.