[Zope3-dev] Re: Moving more stuff to zope.products

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Feb 12 07:38:38 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
>> See http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/PackageGeddon
>
> I'm thinking of something much bigger. This hardly qualifies as a
> geddon. :)

Well, taking core packages out of zope.app is a pretty big thing to me.
And believe me, moving zope.app.content was not just a matter of cvs
remove and cvs add... :)

> The main problem I see is that that the existing structure is too deep.
> I want a drastic flattening of the structure.  I'll work up a cut at this
> on the way home.  This will leave zope.app and zope.products very broad
> and shallow.

Well, you're right, I'm not covering flattening the structure in
zope.app. That's mainly because I have no idea where you are on this
subject, and from what you're writing me now, I guess you don't know
either yet :).

> Further, given a flat structure, I'm not sure that the distinction
> between zope.app and zope.products will be that useful any more.
> I need to think more about this, but I suspect we may want a more fluid
> organization that isn't chisseled into the directory structure. This
> relates
> to Jeffrey's (and, in the past, Kapil's and more recently Tres') remarks
> about packaging.  Perhaps the dependencies and individual configurations
> should be dealt with at a higher level.  As I said, I need to think
> about this.

This is how I think about it:

- zope.app contains too much optional stuff. That stuff needs to go to
zope.products

- zope.app is too deep, so it needs to be flattened. I think treating
subpackages of zope.app as independent packages with their own
interfaces and browser packages is the way to go.

- Packages in zope.app have loads of dependencies on each other.
Especially the tests insanely depend on other packages. Moving optional
stuff out and flattening zope.app will automatically reduce some of
that. We can also take this as an opportunity to de-spaghetti-fy
dependencies...

Philipp