[Zope3-dev] Re: Number of first release should be X3.0.0

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Feb 14 11:52:59 EST 2004

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Barry Warsaw wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 13:01, Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>>> I propose to number the X3 releases starting from 0 (or from 3 ;).
>>>
>>> That is, the first X3 release will be X3.0.0. The next feature
>>> X3 release will be X3.1.0, and so on.  (It will be decided
>>> later whether to restart the numbering for Zope 3 releases.)
>>

>> I'd suggest not restarting the numbering when the 'X' is removed,
>

> What is the deal with the 'X' anyway?

The X indicates that we have not dealt with the very important
issue of transitioning Zope 2 applications to Zope 3.  The X indicates
that we are still in an eXperimental or eXploratory mode.

 > AFAIK, no evil Zope2 stuff will
> end up in Zope3 but the other way around; the result will then be called
> Zope 2.9. Am I missing something?

Yes.  We haven't really figured out the transition plan yet. Zope 2.9
is *just* one step in that direction.  We *may* provide bits of Zope 2
in Zope 3; we haven't decided yet.

> Why not start with Zope 3.0.0 and work our way up...?

Because we haven't provided the transition plan and we have barely
begun to even think about it.