[Zope3-dev] Re: Packaging pre-proposal/notes

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Feb 16 08:05:20 EST 2004

Anthony Baxter wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>
>> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>
>>> Note that "The Python Community" has had several attempts to improve the
>>> packaging situation for Python (CPAN for Python projects, etc) for
>>> the last 6 years at least.
>>
>> If you want my frank opinion, I think that's very pathetic. We're not
>> even close to what Perl has...
>
> "Send Code".

It's not that easy. People in "higher places" have their own ideas. You
have to make proposal, they get rejected, or at least discussed for a
long, long time. I realize that I'm accusing here without being much
constructive, but you also have to think about what a burden
constructiveness can mean for the average Joe Python programmer as I
am... But let's not get into that...

Somehow I knew that this would fling back at me. I didn't intend to
point my finger at something. I just find the situation a little
pathetic, that's all. If OpenSource is about "contribute or die", IOW
don't even think about opening your mouth unless you can contribute,
then I'd rather not be a part of it... :)

Philipp