[Zope3-dev] Re: More thoughts on packaging

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Mon Feb 16 11:20:49 EST 2004

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>There seems to be a possible consensus emerging that we should
>>use a packaging system.  I suggest that we should use an existing
>>system (or systems) such as RPM or the debian system and
>>provide the ability to generate course-grained distributions
>>from these systems for those systems (e.g. windows) that either
>>don't have package systems or don't have package systems that
>>we support.
>

> Why not Python distutils and go from there? There are ways to create
> RPMs from these, and I imagine .debs as well (I use Debian but haven't
> tried yet).

I am not very happy with a couple of things about the RPM generation
done by distutils (see my other post about the assumptions made by
distutils).  At a minimum, we will need to extend disttils in a couple
of places:

   - Move the metadata *out* of the setup.py file (in fact, most packages
     should *not* require an explicit setup.py file at all!);

   - Make it trivial to include "data" (e.g., page template files,
     images, ZCML, documentation) along with code (distutils is
     pathetic in its handling of "data");

   - Capture dependency information.

Note that if all this data is available in some declarative format,
generating a .spec file (or whatever Debian's analog is called) will be
a mechanical process for 99% of the things we need to pacakge.

If we can manage such extensions over distutils, that would be great;
we should then nominate them for inclusion at the language level.  If we
can't, then that is also OK;  we should be prepared to move forward
either way.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com