[Zope3-dev] Re: More thoughts on packaging

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Feb 16 11:35:23 EST 2004

At 11:20 AM 2/16/04 -0500, Tres Seaver wrote:
>If we can manage such extensions over distutils, that would be great; we
>should then nominate them for inclusion at the language level.  If we
>can't, then that is also OK;  we should be prepared to move forward either way.

The nice thing about distutils is that it *is* well-designed with respect
to being able to replace its commands.

Alas, it's not always so well-factored when it comes to subclassing its
built-in commands.  Many commands have a tendency to factor out all the
easy parts into lots of little methods, and then do the hard parts in
really huge methods, or a handful of midsize methods that carry a host of
assumptions between them.  So, to do anything "interesting" with a command
subclass you end up with lots of code duplication, copying from the
original implementation so you can change some minor detail in the middle
of a huge method.

What that means is that we'll probably want to see if we can get patches
accepted that refactor the base functionality of certain commands for
easier subclassing, in the event that the extended functionality we want is
considered out-of-scope or something for distutils itself.