[Zope3-dev] Re: Packaging pre-proposal/notes

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Mon Feb 16 20:37:21 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
> I've collected some goals and other notes in the form of a preproposal
> on packaging:
>
>   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/Zope3PackagingProposal
>
> Comments, here and in the wiki are appreciated.  I'd like to agree
> on goals that form a basis for additional work
>
> Jim

Jim, how do you see this fitting into the 1.0 release of X3?

My general feedback is that this is a very ambitious vision. My vote
would be to stay clear of anything fancy (i.e. mods to distutils, etc.)
until we have seen X3 in the field and can solve some more concrete
problems. For X3 1.0, I think we should create standard distributions
(RPM, Debian, source/distutils, etc.) that are as simple as possible.

  -- Garrett