[Zope3-dev] Re: Packaging pre-proposal/notes

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Tue Feb 17 09:54:34 EST 2004

Richard Jones wrote:

> On 17/02/2004, at 3:11 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:
>
>> Anthony Baxter wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, but this stuff is hard. The people who're trying to work on it
>>> have to do this in their spare time - for instance, the current pypi
>>> system.
>>

>> Note that PyPI invested effort to add Trove metadata, which I would
>> call "nice-to-have", and left out dependencies, which I would call
>> "crucial".  I am not trivializing the effort required to add
>> dependencies, either;  I just don't consider PyPI very useful without
>> them.
>

> This is getting off-topic now, but I think it's important to reiterate
> Anthony's comment. Send Code. Distutils and PyPI are open to further
> development. Some people at some stage had some spare time to put in the
> effort to get something implemented. In my case, I knew I had to
> explicitly narrow the scope of PyPI or I'd never finish, and
> dependencies didn't make the cut. I always intended that they be added
> some time later. Possibly by myself, but most likely by someone else.

Believe me, I know *exactly* how that happens.  I was trying to point
out that Zope3 needs more from distutils than it currently supports.

> Distutils and PyPI are open code.
>
> If you think PyPI's currently "pathetic"

Just for clarity, I think I used "pathetic" to refer to distutils'
handling of data files, not PyPI;  that handling is a "bolt-on," due
largely to the fact that distributing large numbers of data files wasn't
on anyone's mind when distutils' design was laid down.

> or not "very useful", then feel
> free to fix it when you have the spare time. Otherwise, stop the
> name-calling. It just makes those who have put in the effort feel like
> shit.

I certainly didn't intend that;  my perspective on PyPI is that it has
promise, but that I can't make effective use of it without dependencies.
  The phrase "RPM hell" describes the feeling I get, looking at a
package distribution system which lacks dependency management.

> I'll note that PyPI is actually quite popular though. So I guess it's
> useful to some people.

Yes, I am sure that it is.

Please accept my apology for anything which came across as offensive.  I
want very much for Python and Zope to have a fully-fledged package
distribution framework, and I appreciate the work which the community
has contributed so far toward that goal.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com