[Zope3-dev] Re: Separate presentation packages

Lex Berezhny LBerezhny at DevIS.com
Mon Feb 16 23:27:16 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 06:22, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> You can't separate and keep stuff together at the same time. What do we
> weigh more important? Do we want to
>
> - emphasize separation OR make navigation easier?

+1 navigation

> - allow easy customization OR have compact structures?

+1 compact structure

> - have a scrutable hierarchy (IOW, flat but meaningful) OR minimize
> distance?

+1 minimize distance

  Someone pointed this out earlier, but it's important to consider that
most projects are not going to have multiple UIs. Maybe a lot will, but
most won't.

  I think the hierarchy should be left the way it is:

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 20:10, Garrett Smith wrote:
>    modfoo
>    --------------------
>    modfoo/interfaces.py
>    modfoo/modfoo.py or modfoo/_modfoo.py
>    modfoo/__init__.py + imports of modfoo.py/_modfoo.py (optional)
>    modfoo/browser.py or modfoo/browser/ depending on UI complexity
>    modfoo/*.py (other implementation modules)

  This way most projects can have a succinct layout. Once the majority
is satisfied a more elaborate system/scheme can be devised to meet the
needs of those projects that need some framework to manage the multiple
UIs.

  I am going on a limb here, but my impression is that Zope3 is more of
an application server than (Zope2) a content management system. As an
application server I think most people will be building apps that have
only one skin.

  At least that has been my experience with Zope2 business applications
vs. Zope2 content applications. Most custom business apps (budgeting,
project management, process management, employee/people/customer
management) only have one skin which comes as part of building the
custom app.

  We have only one application at work (ezro.devis.com - in the process
of being released as Open Source once the Dept. of Labor approves it)
which uses many skins (i think we have about a dozen or more right now).
The rest of our applications only have one skin.

  I guess the point I want to make is that from my experience you
usually either have one skin and that's it or you have a dozen skins or
more which would benefit from some skin management framework anyways.

thanks for listening,

 lex