[Zope3-dev] Re: Separate presentation packages

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Feb 17 05:32:04 EST 2004

Lex Berezhny wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 06:22, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

>   Someone pointed this out earlier, but it's important to consider that
> most projects are not going to have multiple UIs. Maybe a lot will, but
> most won't.

I don't think most applications will have multple UIs. But,
when you get a product from someone else, you are often going to
want to change it's UI to make it consistent with the app you are
plugging it into.

>   I think the hierarchy should be left the way it is:

The way it is today?  Have you actually worked with it?

>   I am going on a limb here, but my impression is that Zope3 is more of
> an application server than (Zope2) a content management system. As an
> application server I think most people will be building apps that have
> only one skin.
>
>   At least that has been my experience with Zope2 business applications
> vs. Zope2 content applications. Most custom business apps (budgeting,
> project management, process management, employee/people/customer
> management) only have one skin which comes as part of building the
> custom app.
>
>   We have only one application at work (ezro.devis.com - in the process
> of being released as Open Source once the Dept. of Labor approves it)
> which uses many skins (i think we have about a dozen or more right now).
> The rest of our applications only have one skin.
>
>   I guess the point I want to make is that from my experience you
> usually either have one skin and that's it or you have a dozen skins or
> more which would benefit from some skin management framework anyways.

But, as I said above, you will often want to reuse someone
elses product and you will need to make the product's UI consistent
with you app's UI.