[Zope3-dev] Separate presentation packages

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Feb 17 05:18:25 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:

> Stephan Richter wrote:
>
>> I think Martijn has a good point here. We are thinking so hard about
>> the 5-10% of the time you have the uncommon case, that we forget
>> about what people will usually want to do. And I bet now that it will
>> not be common to replace the UI. It is just too much work to do it
>> consistently.
>

> I don't agree. This was huge complaint about Z2.  It was a motivation
> for CMF skins.  People don't necessarily create multiple presentations
> for applications, but they often want to replace the presentation of
> products they get to make them consistent with their application
> presentations.

It is still not the common case. While people indeed want the ability to
override presentation, *most the time* this doesn't happen, because it's
too much work and isn't necessary. The point is not whether people want
to do it, but whether people will do it for most packages, and whether a
browser_foo setup will support/encourage any of this better than the
alternatives, and whether going that way won't make some other things
harder.

I think we all agree that we shouldn't separate views from presentation
too distantly; we've learned our lesson there. We also noticed nobody
was exploiting our separation. So now while we're going to put them
together we're still hoping some unconventional structure will magically
be more supportive of this than the alternative, which is simply putting
them in the same package. The only way we're going to encourage people
to split separation from content is by making that very easy to do. I
thought we've figured that pacakage-structural encouragement was only of
minimal use.

Regards,

Martijn