[Zope3-dev] Re: Packaging pre-proposal/notes

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Feb 17 05:50:54 EST 2004

Richard Jones wrote:

> This is getting off-topic now,

Not exactly.  A major aspect of this discussion has been whether
we (the Zope community) have the luxury of taking the time to improve
distutils.

 > but I think it's important to reiterate
> Anthony's comment. Send Code.

Of course.

I don't think that anyone meant to disparage the people who have
already sent code.  It certainly *is* pathetic that we are
so far behind perl in this area. I see nothing wrong with admitting
that.  Similarly, if we are going to make distutils better, we have
to first analyze its weaknesses.  Clearly people have put a lot of
effort into distutils and other packaging related systems. They are
part of the solution, not part of the problem. They should feel
great about their contributions.

(Having said all of that, I also appreciate how frustrating it can
  be to bust your ass working on something and get a lot of criticism
  for it.  In that respect, open source can really suck.)