[Zope3-dev] Re: Packaging pre-proposal/notes

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Feb 17 06:11:12 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:

> I assume we can do an X3.0 release without solving the packaging
> problem, but I think we want this sooner rather than later.  My
> motivation for wanting to talk about this now is, in part that
> software layout debate. In particular, I don't want to use the CVS
> repository layout as my packaging tool.

This is an important point: The CVS repository layout *is* the packaging
system *for developers*.

So please realize that making foo_browser a standard means that if I'm
an independent product developer, in my own repository away from Zope 3,
I need to check out *two* modules to work on my package; foo and
foo_browser. This will make tagging and branching a lot harder.

Regards,

Martijn