[Zope3-dev] Re: Packaging pre-proposal/notes

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Feb 17 06:25:38 EST 2004

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> I assume we can do an X3.0 release without solving the packaging
>> problem, but I think we want this sooner rather than later.  My
>> motivation for wanting to talk about this now is, in part that
>> software layout debate. In particular, I don't want to use the CVS
>> repository layout as my packaging tool.
>
> This is an important point: The CVS repository layout *is* the packaging
> system *for developers*.

For developers of Zope3, not necessarily for 3rd party developers.

> So please realize that making foo_browser a standard means that if I'm
> an independent product developer, in my own repository away from Zope 3,
> I need to check out *two* modules to work on my package;

Or apt-get install it... After all, you're not developing those modules
themselves but developing *with* them, right?

> This will make tagging and branching a lot harder.

I don't see why you would want to tag/branch Zope3 sources when not
developing Zope3 itself but your own repository stuff.

Philipp

P.S.: Though I don't really understand what you're saying, I *do* know
that it wouldn't be easier right now :)