[Zope3-dev] Re: Packaging pre-proposal/notes

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Feb 17 08:08:38 EST 2004

Stephan Richter wrote:
> The reason we suggested folder and folder_web in the first place was to make
> it easier to develop new UIs. And this in turn was born from the problem that
> it was not easy for us to deactivate the browser ZCML in a package.
> Therefore, I would really like to go back to
>
> folder
> folder/browser

It is what we have now and we have said more than once that we don't
like it, because:

a) It would making browser code optional harder. When you install
'folder', you get the browser junk with it, no matter whether you want
it or not.

b) It doesn't emphasize separation of application and browser code enough.

c) It does not flatten the hierarchy enough. We will end up with browser
subpackages again.

What we really want is something like "separate but close". Being
increasingly sceptical of my own suggestion, I think Jim's concept is
the closest one to that doctrine, even though I still dislike the usage
of the underscore and not being able to make proper use of Python
namespaces. In that respect, I have great sympathy for Garret's and
Roger's opinion. I draw a different conclusion, though.

> and provide a ZCML way of saying
>
 > <disable>
 >   <include package="folder.browser" />
 > </disable>
>
> This way, if you you develop a new UI you can just declare
>
 > <disable>
 >   <include package="folder.browser" />
 > </disable>
 > <include package="srichter.folder.browser" />

I think that is not nearly as clear as simply adding or removing a line
from products.zcml or whereever the numerous packages in zope.app will
be configured from.

Where would this stanza of ZCML you're suggesting be? In the global
config file (e.g. products.zcml)? Or in the
srichter.folder/configure.zcml? Neither place looks "right"... :)

Philipp