[Zope3-dev] Re: Packaging pre-proposal/notes

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Tue Feb 17 07:09:46 EST 2004

HI,

I am not quoting anyone here, because I want to take the discussion one step
back.

The reason we suggested folder and folder_web in the first place was to make
it easier to develop new UIs. And this in turn was born from the problem that
it was not easy for us to deactivate the browser ZCML in a package.
Therefore, I would really like to go back to

folder
folder/browser

and provide a ZCML way of saying

<disable>
  <include package="folder.browser" />
</disable>

This way, if you you develop a new UI you can just declare

<disable>
  <include package="folder.browser" />
</disable>
<include package="srichter.folder.browser" />

In my opinion this is much more sane than anything that we have discussed
concerning this branch of the debate.

The rest of the packaging ideas, like factoring out components from zope.app
and creating smaller confined packages with good dependency information and
so on I really like.

Regards,
Stephan
--