[Zope3-dev] Re: Separate presentation packages

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Feb 17 10:22:31 EST 2004

Tres Seaver wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> I don't agree. This was huge complaint about Z2.  It was a motivation
>> for CMF skins.  People don't necessarily create multiple presentations
>> for applications, but they often want to replace the presentation of
>> products they get to make them consistent with their application
>> presentations.
>
> Actually, while the skins machinery of the CMF makes it *possible* to
> replace any arbitrary skin method from a third-party product, I would
> guess that, "in the wild", replacing a bit of content-specific skin is
> fairly rare:  such customizations are quite brittle against future
> changes to the product, and require a deeper knowledge of the component
> than many will want to have.  Plone 1, for instance, reused almost *all*
> of the "content" skins from CMFDefault.

Right. For content types, that is mostly true. However, let me point out
that the Plone community right now is at the point where they regret
ever having built on top of CMFDefault...

Anyway, Zope3 has much more presentation-ty stuff that can be
customized. Adding views, custom widget views, etc. come to mind. I
could easily find myself replacing almost a whole set of browser views
for a content type...

> The "common" replacements are for "global" skin methods (main_template
> and related stylesheets).

Yes, but those fall under a different category... We should call those
skin packages now. I think rotterdam and zopetop should be their own
package below zope.app or zope.products. You simply replace one of those
and you have a new look-and-feel. These are the kinds of packages you
are EXPECTED to replace. In fact, it might even make a lot of sense to
mark those as *demo* packages...

Philipp