[Zope3-dev] Re: Separate presentation packages

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Tue Feb 17 09:42:16 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:

> I don't agree. This was huge complaint about Z2.  It was a motivation
> for CMF skins.  People don't necessarily create multiple presentations
> for applications, but they often want to replace the presentation of
> products they get to make them consistent with their application
> presentations.

Actually, while the skins machinery of the CMF makes it *possible* to
replace any arbitrary skin method from a third-party product, I would
guess that, "in the wild", replacing a bit of content-specific skin is
fairly rare:  such customizations are quite brittle against future
changes to the product, and require a deeper knowledge of the component
than many will want to have.  Plone 1, for instance, reused almost *all*
of the "content" skins from CMFDefault.

The "common" replacements are for "global" skin methods (main_template
and related stylesheets).

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com