[Zope3-dev] Re: Packaging pre-proposal/notes

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Feb 17 11:42:53 EST 2004

Chris McDonough wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 06:11, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>>Jim Fulton wrote:
>>

>>>I assume we can do an X3.0 release without solving the packaging
>>>problem, but I think we want this sooner rather than later.  My
>>>motivation for wanting to talk about this now is, in part that
>>>software layout debate. In particular, I don't want to use the CVS
>>>repository layout as my packaging tool.
>>

>>This is an important point: The CVS repository layout *is* the packaging
>>system *for developers*.
>

> It needn't be.  I think it would be reasonable to ask developers to run
> an install script just like end users.

I don't.  This is not an option. Sorry. :)

 > Maybe in the case of developers
> it creates symlinks instead of copying.

Symlinks don't really solve the problem. Think of adding and removing
files.

No, as I stated in my preproposal notes, it must be possible to
run from a CVS checkout.

In a later note, you wrote:

 > The fact that we are constrained by the contents of CVS
 > representing the eventual install hiearchy is something that has
 > contributed to spaghetti dependencies within Zope 2, I'd hate to see the
 > same thing happen for Zope 3.

Don't worry.  One of the main points of the discussion is to
avoid having the CVS repository constrained by distributions.  Distributions
need not (and probably won't) look anything like the repository.