[Zope3-dev] Re: Packaging pre-proposal/notes

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Tue Feb 17 11:53:41 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 11:42, Jim Fulton wrote:
> > It needn't be.  I think it would be reasonable to ask developers to run
> > an install script just like end users.
>
> I don't.  This is not an option. Sorry. :)

I know you're not *really* sorry, but that's OK. ;-)

>  > Maybe in the case of developers
> > it creates symlinks instead of copying.
>
> Symlinks don't really solve the problem. Think of adding and removing
> files.

The installer would symlink packages (directories), not individual
files.

> No, as I stated in my preproposal notes, it must be possible to
> run from a CVS checkout.

I don't know why, except for inertia.  This is a complete
non-requirement from my perspective, for any Python software.  If Zope 3
is really at some level a collection of more-or-less independent Python
packages, it should be possible to treat it as such by rearranging the
packages in their respective source versions and letting an installer
take care of placing them in the right directories at install time.  CVS
should not be responsible for this.

> Don't worry.  One of the main points of the discussion is to
> avoid having the CVS repository constrained by distributions.  Distributions
> need not (and probably won't) look anything like the repository.

I suspect that's backwards.  If a CVS checkout must be runnable
in-place, there will be likely be little need or desire to package for
distribution differently than as one big checkout turd, which is fine,
and is the strategy that Zope 2 takes, it's just not what I thought Zope
3 wanted to be about.

- C