[Zope3-dev] Re: Packaging pre-proposal/notes

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Feb 17 12:17:53 EST 2004

Chris McDonough wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 10:17, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>

>>So, I'll to run something like 'make' after every friggin' change of a
>>.py file? I think it's bad enough having to restart Z3 all the time.
>>Hey, we're all using Python for it's being an interpreted language.
>>Please let's not have compile-like processes.
>>

>This is why I suggested the symlink thing, FWIW.  You won't need to run
>make after any change if packages are symlinked from source into the
>install tree.  Windows people?  They lose.

I'm worried that this will raise the development barrier. If you start
needing to cross your symlinks to be able to conveniently develop a Zope
3 extension, that's not very helpful. It's supposed to be easy to
develop a Zope 3 extension.

Though I guess doing it the Pythonic way would require you to either
symlink or re-run setup.py install each time you make a change...

Regards,

Martijn