[Zope3-dev] RE: Packaging pre-proposal/notes

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Tue Feb 17 14:27:25 EST 2004

Chris McDonough wrote:

> Most Windows people install from binary, period.  And there's Cygwin,
> which does symlinks just fine.  If people want to use Windows sans
> Cygwin to develop Zope core, that's fine; they just need to copy the
> files they change in the installed copy back into the source tree
> manually and check them in.  The amount of people we would lose to
> such a hardship is... zero.  Really.  The teeming throng of Windows
> people here are free to stand up and prove me wrong. ;-)

Whoa. I haven't paid too much attention to this thread (list activity's
been off the chart these days), but I'm definitely one of those Windows
users that doesn't use Cygwin and does use VC++ to compile Python
extensions.

I'm not clear on what we'd need symlinks for, but this sounds like
things are getting pretty complex. What's the payoff?

Maybe this needs to be written up in a proposal.

 -- Garrett