[Zope3-dev] Drop local event service and object hub for now

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Feb 18 05:31:34 EST 2004

Steve and Marius are working on an event service refactoring
proposal.  This will bring about significant changes in the way
that local event subscriptions are handled.

Parentgeddon reduced substantially the need for an object hub.
We only need a hub to support indexes.

Neither the event service nor the hub have been updated to
reflect parentgeddon.

AFAIK, the only thing that uses the hub right now is the index
and catalog code.

I love the current indexing and catalog code, but (based on my
earlier survey) I don't think we need to include it in X3.0.
AFAIK, there are no existing applications that depend on
the existing catalog or indexes.

AFAIK, the only user of the local event service is the hub.

Therefore (whew :), I propose to:

- Remove the code that sets up the local event and hub services.

- Add code to remove previously created event services and hubs.

- Remove the local event service and hub code, being careful
   not to break existing databases.

- Temporarily break the indexing and catalog code

Any objections?  Am I missing any other uses of the local event services
or the hub?

Of course, later, after we have the new event subscription machinery
and simpler hub in place, we'll make the indexes and catalogs work
again,