[Zope3-dev] ZODB 3.3 coming to Zope 3

Fred Drake fred at zope.com
Thu Feb 19 14:11:39 EST 2004

We're about to land the changes to Zope 3 so that it uses ZODB 3.3
instead of the abandoned ZODB 4.  We hope to make this change in CVS
tomorrow morning.

After the changes have been made in CVS, we'll send a note to this
list letting everyone know we're done.  At that point, you'll need to
run a conversion script on any existing databases you intend to use
with the updated software.

For the Eager...
----------------

If you just can't wait until tomorrow to test the new software, it's
possible to start playing with it today.  You will need to run several
CVS commands to piece it together; that will not be needed once the
announcement that we're done comes out.

Pick a place to create your working copy, and run these commands (for
Unix):

  $ cd /some/place/
  $ CVSROOT=:ext:cvs.zope.org:/cvs-repository
  $ export CVSROOT
  $ cvs checkout -r zope3-zodb3-devel-branch Zope3
  [...]
  $ cd Zope3/src/
  $ cvs checkout -r zope3-zodb3-devel-branch -d BTrees ZODB/src/BTrees
  [...]
  $ cvs checkout -r zope3-zodb3-devel-branch -d persistent
ZODB/src/persistent
  [...]
  $ cvs checkout -r zope3-zodb3-devel-branch -d ZODB ZODB/src/ZODB
  [...]
  $ cd ..

You should now be able to build the compiled modules and run the
conversion script:

  $ python2.3 setup.py build_ext -i
  [...]
  $ PYTHONPATH=src python2.3 src/ZODB/zodb4/main.py Data.fs

This will move the existing ZODB 4 database to a backup file (the .fs
extension will be changed to .fs4; if the main file doesn't use the
.fs extension, .fs4 will simply be appended).

You can now start Zope 3 normally.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>