[Zope3-dev] ZODB 3.3 coming to Zope 3

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Feb 20 12:10:06 EST 2004

Fred Drake wrote:
> We're about to land the changes to Zope 3 so that it uses ZODB 3.3
> instead of the abandoned ZODB 4.  We hope to make this change in CVS
> tomorrow morning.
>
> After the changes have been made in CVS, we'll send a note to this
> list letting everyone know we're done.

The changes to make Zope 3 use ZODB 3 have been checked in.

We currently have both ZODB abd zodb packages, which will
break windows checkouts.  We are going to fix this by getting rid
of the zodb package. We'll send another note to let everyone know
when this is done.

If you have any code that imports from zodb, you will need to change
it to import from ZODB instead.

 > At that point, you'll need to
> run a conversion script on any existing databases you intend to use
> with the updated software.

Update Procedure
----------------

Use this procedure to update the software and convert databases:

1. Back up your databases (Data.fs* files).

2. Update the software using "cvs up -dP".

3. Re-build compiled modules:

    $ python2.3 setup.py build_ext -i

4. Run the conversion script for each FileStorage:

    $ PYTHONPATH=src python2.3 src/ZODB/zodb4/main.py Data.fs

This will move the existing ZODB 4 database to a backup file (the .fs
extension will be changed to .fs4; if the main file doesn't use the
.fs extension, .fs4 will simply be appended).

Jim (and Fred)