[Zope3-dev] More in zope.app: securitypolicy and wiki

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sat Feb 28 03:48:18 EST 2004

Chris McDonough wrote:
> Note that we moved securitypolicy into products out of app about a month
> ago.  I'm not sure products is where it should go, but the intent was to
> indicate that the security policy is a default, and may be replaced with
> another implementation.  'app' doesn't feel like that sort of place to
> me, but then again, I've lost track of what it was supposed to mean long
> ago.  I wonder if maybe there should be a zope.default package where
> default implementations of things that are meant to be completely
> pluggable should go?

I know that securitypolicy was moved to zope.products a while ago. But then we
decided that it's not a good idea to let the location of a package determine
whether it's core Zope or something you should override, or whether it'll be
part of the standard distribution or not.

As a result, we abolished the idea of zope.products and moved everything back to
zope.app. We're currently flattenning zope.app (combine implementations,
interfaces and browser views) in order to obtain individual packages with
well-defined dependencies. To speak with Jim's words, zope.app "will be broad
and shallow".

I know there hasn't exactly been a proposal for this, only Jim's preproposal and
the large discussion on zope3-dev. The objective is quite clear though, sorry
you missed it. I guess we should write it down.

Philipp