[Zope3-dev] Re: Can we provide a Zope3 Collective?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jul 1 09:39:50 EDT 2004

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Roger,

> As for new packages, especially ones that come from outside the core
> development team around ZC, I wouldn't say that the zope.org repository
> would be the best place. We eventually would like to enforce and
> furtherly support cooperation between different communities, such as
> Silva and Plone; a "neutral" place to do this sounds like a much better
> idea to me (and others, frankly).

In what way is zope.org not neutral?

 > The bar for commitment won't be as
> high as for the zope.org repository (contributor agreement, ZPL etc.),

And therein lies a weakness in a separate repository.  The rules:

- Consistent open license

- Ony check in your code

- Don't knowingly violate patents

protect the user's of the software. Further, for products without
external dependencies, including them in the zope.org
repository will cause them to be tested and refactored by the Zope
developers. This is a *significant* bemefit for developers.