[Zope3-dev] Re: Can we provide a Zope3 Collective?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Jul 1 07:36:38 EDT 2004

Roger,

> What's a good place for to put Zope3 products.
> Do we have a subversion repository for to replace the CVS?
> I think it whould be nice to have a area with working
> products for Zope3 like the bugtracker which is accessible
> with subversion.
>
> Or is the codespeak the new place for Zope3 products?
>
> I hope there is a way for to hold Zope3 products together
> in something like a "collective" in plone.
>
> Whould be nice if this could be somewhere on zope.org
>
> What do you mean is there a way for doing this before we
> have many different repositories?

First of all, we like to disencourage the term 'product' since it's a
Zope2-ism that reflects Zope2's awkward way of dealing with add-on
software modules. Since Zope3 clearly and willingly changes this, I
think we should reflect this in the nomenclature and simply use the name
'package', as in 'Python package' since that's what Zope3 add-on modules
really are.

The "collective" in Plone is a nice idea and surely is useful to some
extend; yet, even the Plone people admit that it has become more of a
'product dump', i.e. a place where people just dump their code without
rules and possibly further commitment (exceptions prove the rule). I'm
not sure if this is what we want for Zope3.

I too am concerned about the several add-on package for Zope3 that were
developed over time and haven't been taken care of in the recent past. I
agree that they should be migrated to subversion. Note that those
packages were created by Zope3 committers during the Zope3 development
process, partially out of a will to setup a fishbowl (e.g. wiki and
bugtracker. Their place is and should remain the zope.org repository.

As for new packages, especially ones that come from outside the core
development team around ZC, I wouldn't say that the zope.org repository
would be the best place. We eventually would like to enforce and
furtherly support cooperation between different communities, such as
Silva and Plone; a "neutral" place to do this sounds like a much better
idea to me (and others, frankly). The bar for commitment won't be as
high as for the zope.org repository (contributor agreement, ZPL etc.),
but there would be rules.

In the past few weeks, Martijn Faassen and I have started such a project
at codespeak, the "z3 base". We hope that this will become *the*
development home for third party packages for Zope3. We will be happy to
host any Zope3-related OpenSource project and welcome all kinds of
contributions. Martijn's Five and Sidnei's sqlos are already being
actively developed there and there is more to come.

I know that especially you, Roger, seem to have developed quite a large
number of Zope3 components already. We would be happy to give you or any
other Zope3 developer checkin rights and would welcome any
contributions, be it in form of bug reports, patches or even whole new
packages...

See, now you've made me write down our mission statement for the
'official' announcement of z3 base ;).

Best regards,

Philipp