[Zope3-dev] Re: Can we provide a Zope3 Collective?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jul 1 13:48:07 EDT 2004

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:

> I agree with what Philipp said. That is not so much a reflection on
> behavior, but a reflection on perspective and image. This also counts in
> the open source world.
>
> For instance, if I check something into cvs.infrae.com or codespeak.net
> SVN has a vast difference in image, even though both packages may be
> licensed the same way.

We are talking about zope.org, *not* zope.com.

> I agree that the zope.org repository has significant benefits. It also
> has drawbacks. A separate repositority has other drawbacks and strengths

Yup.  I just think there should be some sanity in considering the drawbacks.

> -- strengths that include a lower barrier to entry and a neutral
> position.

It's the neutral position bit I have a major beef with.

 > Just by being *different* in its strengths and drawbacks is
> helpful by itself, as this may feed some projects into existence that
> might otherwise not happen.
>
> I think that the Zope 3 community will be stronger with this second
> repository. It's a significant sign of strength of the community itself
> to have people develop open source software *for* Zope 3 that can not in
> any way be construed to be a *part* of Zope 3.
>
> This is what we see in the Zope 2 community; a plethora of repositories.
> The different possibly incompatible licenses and state of
> maintainability is a drawback, yes, but it's also a strength -- a
> strength in diversity.

Including the diversity of products that are broken by new versions
of Zope, in part, because they aren't adequately tested against new versions.