[Zope3-dev] Re: AW: Where should we place 3rd party packages?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Jul 2 12:11:02 EDT 2004

Roger ineichen wrote:
> Can we place a standard group container in the src/ for 3rd party
> packages like we did at the beginning with (zopeproducts) or
> lib/pyhton/Products in Zope2.

We have come to the conclusion that this was a bad idea since it
requires packages to

a) have a certain top-level package (zopeproducts, Products, etc.)

b) be located in a certain place.

> The reason why:
> If we write README's or some Installation instruction we don't have
> a standard way of installing products. It whould be much more easiere
> for newbies ond also for to get a overview what's installed if
> we provide a standard way.
> Yes this sounds like, here is somebody how is working with windows
> and is asking for a folder for to put the packages in.
>
> It's also nice to provide a standard container for 3rd party product
> if you distribute a package as a zip and you can extract it on the root
> of your zope installation and you don't have to search your product
> after extracting because it is always in the same standard place.
>
> Or is there a reason for not doing this?

I agree that it would be a good thing to have a *default* location for
Python packages. But I think we already do, INSTANCE_HOME/lib/python.
And then, Python always has /usr/lib/python/site-packages...

Philipp