AW: [Zope3-dev] Where should we place 3rd party packages?

Roger ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Fri Jul 2 11:28:49 EDT 2004

Mit freundlichen Grüssen
Roger Ineichen
_____________________________
END OF MESSAGE

installation

> For the repository, I'd suggest they just go in src/, since
> they can't
> conflict with the names there anyway.  Groups of semi-related
> packages could
> share a container package to keep src/ from growing too rapidly.

No, I have to add this product as a top-level package in the repository
because it has dependency to non-zope packages (ldap python package).
I disscuessed this with jim earlier.

> For a running Zope, they can be installed into the instance's
> lib/python/ or
> the software installation's lib/python/.  If you really,
> really want to work
> with a checkout, stick them in src/; they shouldn't conflict
> with anything
> there anyway, or you could add them to someplace on sys.path.

Can we place a standard group container in the src/ for 3rd party
packages like we did at the beginning with (zopeproducts) or
lib/pyhton/Products in Zope2.

The reason why:
If we write README's or some Installation instruction we don't have
a standard way of installing products. It whould be much more easiere
for newbies ond also for to get a overview what's installed if
we provide a standard way.
Yes this sounds like, here is somebody how is working with windows
and is asking for a folder for to put the packages in.

It's also nice to provide a standard container for 3rd party product
if you distribute a package as a zip and you can extract it on the root
of your zope installation and you don't have to search your product
after extracting because it is always in the same standard place.

Or is there a reason for not doing this?

Regards
Roger