[Zope3-dev] Re: svn tag vs. released tarball

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Jul 14 07:22:33 EDT 2004

Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

> I just noticed that the zope.app.wiki package is in the beta1 svn tag
> but not in the tarball on zope.org.  Is it missing from the tarball or
> should it be removed from the svn tag?  I think the svn tag should
> represent the same code that is included in the tarball.

When we thought about a packaging system for Zope 3, we realized that
the subversion repository and a software package (e.g. a tarball) do not
have to look alike. In fact, it made it a lot easier NOT having them
look alike. The way we make a software package works this way:

We define a release using a master dependency and setup file. These
files tell zpkg which python packages are to be included in the release
tarball and how they are to be setup when the user hits python setup.py
on his machine.

Therefore, even though many other packages live in the Zope3 repository
(e.g. wiki and others), they are not necessarily included in the
release. What is in a release and what not can be found in the
before-mentioned configuration files under Zope3/releases/ZopeX3.

Best regards,

Philipp