[Zope3-dev] Re: svn tag vs. released tarball

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Wed Jul 14 11:47:23 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 01:22:33PM +0200, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
| Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
|
| >I just noticed that the zope.app.wiki package is in the beta1 svn tag
| >but not in the tarball on zope.org.  Is it missing from the tarball or
| >should it be removed from the svn tag?  I think the svn tag should
| >represent the same code that is included in the tarball.
|
| When we thought about a packaging system for Zope 3, we realized that
| the subversion repository and a software package (e.g. a tarball) do not
| have to look alike.

Ah, that is what confused me.  I expected the version control tag to
represent the release.  When I saw the release announcement(s) I
simply grabbed the svn tag instead of the tarball.  Yesterday when I
installed from the tarball (for a small psuedo-production deployment)
I noticed that some of the packages I needed weren't there.

| In fact, it made it a lot easier NOT having them look alike.

I can see how that would be true.  Maybe it would be a good idea to
remove the excluded directories from svn?  After all, the "tag" is
just a version-controlled directory.

| The way we make a software package works this way:
|
| We define a release using a master dependency and setup file. These
| files tell zpkg which python packages are to be included in the release
| tarball and how they are to be setup when the user hits python setup.py
| on his machine.
|
| Therefore, even though many other packages live in the Zope3 repository
| (e.g. wiki and others), they are not necessarily included in the
| release. What is in a release and what not can be found in the
| before-mentioned configuration files under Zope3/releases/ZopeX3.

Thanks for clarifying that.

-D

--
"GUIs normally make it simple to accomplish simple actions and
impossible to accomplish complex actions."

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: dman at dman13.dyndns.org