[Zope3-dev] Re: Photo product (was questions about ZConfig and ZCML)

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Jul 20 03:24:41 EDT 2004

Kent Tenney wrote:
> My previous inquiry about ZConfig and ZCML led
> to the suggestion to look at the Photo product.
>
> I'm starting from scratch here.
>
> I'm logging some as I go, http://longrun.org/wiki/Zope3Log

I get an assertion error here.

> I've installed the photo product in the instance directory;
> c:\cygwin\home\ktenney\Zope3\lib\python\photo
>
> - What is the correct contents of photo-configure.zcml?
>   (the Book indicates
>    <include package="zope.app.photo" />
>    but I'd prefer not to install to
>    c:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\zope\app)

Right, 'zope.app' is the mother package of all packages that are
specific to the Zope application server. Since Photo is not such a
package and even depends on third party libraries (PIL, imagemagick),
the convention is to put it *outside* of Zope, simply as a top-level
package. That means you can put it *anywhere* you want in your Python
path; recommended is $INSTANCE/lib/python.

The ZCML slug (photo-configure.zcml) would then simply read:

   <include package="photo" />

Examples for top-level packages that are Zope applications are:

- buddydemo (http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/src/buddydemo)

- zwiki (http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/src/zwiki)

- z3checkins (http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/src/z3checkins)

> - What is the proper way to stop the Zope3 application?
>   (I've been closing the cmd window I ran *runzope* from)

Ctrl+C when running runzope. zopectl stop when running the zdaemon.

Philipp