[ViewCVS] Re: [Zope3-dev] svn.zope.org tarballs?

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at collab.net
Tue Jun 1 09:26:44 EDT 2004

Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> writes:

> I finally did some checking and found that downloading a tar ball causes
> ViewCVS to use massive amounts of memory. For example, to download a 3MB
> tar ball of the Zope 3 trunk, ViewCVS consumed 412 MB of memory.

I'm not sure why the memory usage would be so bad.  I *do* see in the
code that the memory usage should be at least the size of the largest
file in the set (since at any given time, the entire contents of the
"current" file are held in memory).  But 412MB for a 3MB tree?  How?

Ah.  Sheesh.  I bet it's a sloppy pool usage pattern.  Yes, yes, I can
see that a single memory pool is used for the entire tarball
operation.  That could be bad.

/me makes a big note in his personal TODO file to investigate further.