AW: [Zope3-dev] Re: AW: open-sourcing some ZC widgets (was Re: AW: Widgetproblems? Is there work in progress?)

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Jun 2 16:06:01 EDT 2004

Roger ineichen wrote:
> I was not happy with the situation and implement
> slots in our skin for to resolve this problem
> and don't hack arround. Now we can offer a open
> skin and everyone can register what he whants.
>
> Optional you can add "local" slots which overrides
> them. We use adapters for to lookup the slotpage
> (views) used in this slots.
>
> Perhaps there is a question why we make such a
> big workarround for to do this.
>
> The answer is, the adapter stores the settings
> of a slot in the principal annotation service.
> This way each user can have other views in the slots.
>
> A really simply implementation of pagelets or how
> the called. A extension in the future could be
> a lookup in the instance annotation for additional
> slots.
>

> How it works:
> - Register a slot
> - Register views to this slot
> - Call this slots in a master template

[I had to look at the code to actually see what that means]

That system sounds great. I implemented a similar system based on XSLT
for kupu (http://kupu.oscom.org).

Would you care to make this machinery available as a 3rd party package?
I hope to be starting a z3 collective for those kinds of projects soon
after EuroPython.

Philipp