[Zope3-dev] package-includes query

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Jun 5 13:55:14 EDT 2004

Tres Seaver wrote:
> I just ran into this yesterday:
>
>   - I had moved a bunch of the "add-on" packages aside in
>     'package-includes', to verify that things still worked in
>     that case (e.g., I renamed 'pythonpage-configure.zcml' to
>     'pythonpage-configure.zcml.aside').  This was essentially
>     "policy" for my test site, and would be the natural way to
>     deactivate unwanted features.

Why would you use an svn checkout for a test site?
I would think it would be better to use a beta release.

>   - However, those files are under SVN, which means that I (or
>     somebody else) is likely either to check in such changes,
>     or else lose their policy choices, inadvertently.
>
> Maybe we need to port 'mkzopeinstance.py' over pretty quickly,
> and begin treating the SVN 'package-includes' as a "skeleton'.
> This would allow us to handle creation of a new 'principals.zcml'
> more cleanly, as well.

There already is a mkzopeinstance, but it's intended to be used with
releases, not checkouts. I guess I'm not opposed to having one that can
be used without a checkout, although I can't see much point. I suppose the
reason to do this would be able to test against the trunk. Is that your
motivation?