[Zope3-dev] package-includes query

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Sun Jun 6 08:59:37 EDT 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Tres Seaver wrote:
>
>> I just ran into this yesterday:
>>
>>   - I had moved a bunch of the "add-on" packages aside in
>>     'package-includes', to verify that things still worked in
>>     that case (e.g., I renamed 'pythonpage-configure.zcml' to
>>     'pythonpage-configure.zcml.aside').  This was essentially
>>     "policy" for my test site, and would be the natural way to
>>     deactivate unwanted features.
>

> Why would you use an svn checkout for a test site?
> I would think it would be better to use a beta release.
>
>>   - However, those files are under SVN, which means that I (or
>>     somebody else) is likely either to check in such changes,
>>     or else lose their policy choices, inadvertently.
>>
>> Maybe we need to port 'mkzopeinstance.py' over pretty quickly,
>> and begin treating the SVN 'package-includes' as a "skeleton'.
>> This would allow us to handle creation of a new 'principals.zcml'
>> more cleanly, as well.
>

> There already is a mkzopeinstance, but it's intended to be used with
> releases, not checkouts. I guess I'm not opposed to having one that can
> be used without a checkout, although I can't see much point. I suppose the
> reason to do this would be able to test against the trunk. Is that your
> motivation?

My actual motivation is that there was no tarball at the time I started
playing with the beta, only a tag. :)  I do think that the 'make
inplace' instance *should* bind all packages into the instance, but I
think we could benefit from something like Zope 2.7's 'make instance',
which lets you initialize a new instance from within a checkout (or the
tarball distro).

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com