AW: AW: [Zope3-dev] Re: AW: Re: edit view of a object unknown?

Roger ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Sun Mar 7 08:03:54 EST 2004

> Jim Fulton wrote:
> I will note that Object field provide much more freedom than
> other fields. Most other fields imply a specific
> implementation type.  For example, Int implies int and Text
> implies unicode.
>
> Squence and Object let you provide any objects that satisfy a
> contract and are less help when constructing things. Or they
> are more help, because they are more flexible. With freedom
> comes responsibility. There are tradeoffs involved.
>
> We may find that people end up providing concrete classes for
> object felds instead of interfaces. I'd be open to allowing
> this. An object field that specifies a class is more like a
> Int or Text field.  It is easier to work with but less
> flexible.  Most applications won't really need the
> flexibility of allowing multiple implementations.

Let's try to solve this restriction.
I think, we don't have enough information just in the
interface. We need sometimes more nformation, for get
the felxibility back, form the configuration on the server.

If we whould provide a registration directive for to
tell which Object is used in a class(interface).
We could use this registred Objects.

Important,
This is not just a problem of the Object(field).
Allways if you call a registred component of a given
Interface you can get back more then one components.
This is hadled in different ways.
e.g. in menu service give back the first menu item (I think)
and in workflow.ImportExportUtility give back the first
ProcessDefinition.
Here it whold be nice to give back what's registred in
ZCML.

Sorry it's really hard for me to tell this in english.
I hoppe you understand this above.
See more information on the tread "edit view of a object unknown"
with Jim and Garrett