[Zope3-dev] Rid the term 'product'

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Mar 19 10:13:21 EST 2004

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>>
>>> It also implies much more to the Zope newbie who's not familiar with
>>> Zope 2 jargon. I always caught myself talking to non-Zopistas about
>>> how easy it is to install new products in Zope 2 and only found out
>>> by the look on the other person's face that I had forgotten to define
>>> the term 'product' as an extension or plug-in. I've frequently read
>>> comments and questions about exactly that.
>>
>> I agree with this. I remember having to get to used to the term
>> 'Product' myself, as it has a lot of implications that don't make much
>> sense for what they are -- extensions of Zope or applications on top
>> of Zope. Now I'm so used to it I know what it means and have hard time
>> understanding feeling puzzled about, but I do remember I thought it a
>> really odd term when I first encountered it.
>
> I did too.

Needless to say, me too :)

> Actually, I wonder if the whole concept will disappear.

That's sort of my point above.

> If so, we don't really need a term for this.  Zope 3 will become a
> library upon which people build applications.  Reuse between
> applications will involve sharing Python packages.  So what we call a
> product today is a Python package that is also either an application
> or a library (or both). Therefore, I would suggest products.zcml be
> renamed libraries.zcml or packages.zcml.

I'm find with either extensions, libraries or packages. They're just
nuances to me. I guess Jim's argument is that often, you will include
whole apps built on top of Zope in those libraries. But to Zope, they
are really just python packages to be loaded. Well, not really, since
it's the ZCML we're loading that has to be executed in a certain order,
after all the zope.app stuff. That's why I suggested 'extensions', but
I'm fine with 'packages', too...

Philipp