[Zope3-dev] Rid the term 'product'

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Fri Mar 19 10:00:16 EST 2004

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>
>> It also implies much more to the Zope newbie who's not familiar with
>> Zope 2 jargon. I always caught myself talking to non-Zopistas about
>> how easy it is to install new products in Zope 2 and only found out by
>> the look on the other person's face that I had forgotten to define the
>> term 'product' as an extension or plug-in. I've frequently read
>> comments and questions about exactly that.
>

> I agree with this. I remember having to get to used to the term
> 'Product' myself, as it has a lot of implications that don't make much
> sense for what they are -- extensions of Zope or applications on top of
> Zope. Now I'm so used to it I know what it means and have hard time
> understanding feeling puzzled about, but I do remember I thought it a
> really odd term when I first encountered it.

I did too.

Actually, I wonder if the whole concept will disappear.  If so, we don't
really need a term for this.  Zope 3 will become a library upon which
people build applications.  Reuse between applications will involve
sharing Python packages.  So what we call a product today is a Python
package that is also either an application or a library (or both).
Therefore, I would suggest products.zcml be renamed libraries.zcml or
packages.zcml.

Shane