[Zope3-dev] Re: Rid the term 'product'

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Fri Mar 19 23:54:31 EST 2004

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 04:21:25AM +0100, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
| Peter Simmons wrote:
| >I think it would definitly be better to use a normal word/name and not
| >use a bastardised word/name that just makes Zope more special and
| >further away from main stream which won't help in the long term.
|
| My thinking.

I like this line of thinking.  I always get really annoyed when some
commercial entity decides to give their own new branded/trademarked
name to an age-old or standard concept.  Then try explaining to
non-techie people what So-and-So's expensive shiny new Foobar is
nothing more than a sticker on top of something I already have.  I
think marketing intentionally designs those kind of names just to
create confusion so that their sales reps can sell based on hype and
perception =p.

| >Also whatever is come up with a major thing to remember is to write
| >decent docs for the exisiting zope comuinity and also for zope newbies,
| >i..e how to write a 'Product' in Zope 3 that would explain the new term
| >and 'how to extend zope'
|
| I think the tutorial, the developer cookbook and some stuff I'm
| preparing are going to give Zope3 a good start documentation-wise. I'm
| even inclined to say much better than Zope2 has ever had :). After all,
| Zope3 source code is mostly well documented and human readable :)

I'm fairly close to having a complete working Zope3-based web
application for use at work (managing the mail accounts).  It's pretty
neat.  I already feel like I have a fairly good foundational
understanding of zope3 and the code is organized, readable, and
managable.  It's much better than the Zope2-based web app I created
close to two years ago.  (speaking of, I need to work on rewriting
that and refactoring it at some point :-))  There are still several
holes in my knowledge, but I will agree that Zope3 is a -lot- easier
to learn and use.  I like it, so far.

-D

--
Python is executable pseudocode. Perl is executable line noise.

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: dman at dman13.dyndns.org